Step 1: Consider what it means to adopt a cat...
- Consider your schedule, do you travel a lot? Although cats are less work then dogs, they do not like to be left home alone for long periods of time. Make sure you have a friend that check on them often.
- If you are adopting a kitten, please consider that you will have to bring them back to be spayed/neutered after 6 months.
- Consider the costs of owning a cat, this includes food, toys and medical care.
- Cats are very independent and will need time to adjust to other animals in the home. Sometimes they will get along right away, they will require sufficient training and attention to live in harmony.
- Consider if you will allow your cat to go outdoors, if so, they will have natural instincts to hunt, scratch and possibly bring home the catch of the day.
- Yes, cats are independent but that does not mean they raise themselves. They need love and attention!